Join the fastest growing tech company in Japan!
Mercari’s mission is to create value in a global marketplace where anyone can buy & sell. Today, we proudly count over 108 million downloads of the Mercari app worldwide, making us one of the most downloaded apps in Japan.
We have always been committed to our goal of expanding overseas, and within a year and half of the Mercari app launch, we started our service in the US. With the recent release of the app in the UK, the majority of our product team is working on the global expansion of our service.
Mercari’s culture allows you to continually demonstrate a high level of professionalism, do everything possible to succeed, and to think and act boldly.
Our core values are simple:
• “Go Bold”: Aim for innovation and creative destruction that impacts the world.
• “All for One”: As team, collectively and cooperatively work towards a unified goal.
• “Be Professional”: Use your talent and expertise to the fullest potential; take ownership, and be willing to enhance your skills and abilities through work.
We still have to increase our presence in each region, targeting not only North America and Europe, but countries in Asia and Africa as well. Once we have established ourselves in many regions, our next hurdle will be crossborder transactions. At that point, we will need to tackle global logistics and payments, as well as create our own automated translation system using natural language processing.
We strive to bring our vision to reality. We are continuously looking for young talent to spearhead the development of our marketplace app and global expansion of our services.
Mercari is seeking software engineers and changemakers to join the Tokyo headquarters. If you’re looking for a job where you will be challenged, encouraged to revamp your skills with new technology, grow professionally, and collaborate with a team of extremely capable engineers, developers, and business managers: this job is for you.
Hear what Mercari's international employees have to say about living in Tokyo:
• Develop and manage native mobile application for iOS and Android
• Create web applications using Go/PHP
• Build scalable backend systems to sustain Mercari’s heavy API traffic using Go, C, Lua, etc
• Operate Mercari’s database with terabytes of data
• Research, conceive and develop new applications to extend Mercari's product using modern technology such as Machine Learning, IoT, etc
• Ensure product quality by writing automated E2E tests for mobile applications
• Based on your assignment, you will be asked to go on business trips to the US and/or UK
As a Software Engineer, you will contribute to Mercari’s business expansion through the development and enhancement of new app features/services as well as by introducing new technology to help us work more efficiently.
Our company structure is very flat. There are generally two possible career paths (positions) for Mercari’s software engineers:
- *Engineering Manager*: Takes part in strategic decision-making, development of the team and its engineers, and improves company structure and systems
- *Tech Lead*: Builds technical expertise in software engineering, and uses this knowledge to strengthen Mercari’s technological impact and vision, both internally and externally
Mercari HQ (Tokyo)
above 5.2 million JPY anually (including incentives)
Employment type :Permanent Full-time, 3 month probation period
Working Hours: Flexible working hours (Core time: 12:00-16:00, Official working hours: 10:00-19:00) with 60-minute lunch a day
Holidays: 5-day work week (Sat/Sun off), National holidays, paid time off, summer/New Year’s vacation, congratulatory leave, compassionate leave, etc.
Benefits: • Health insurance • Employee stock ownership plan • Full local transportation coverage • Custom PC, dual screen provided if needed • Company smartphone • Visa support • Moving allowance and international travel expense reimbursement • Japanese Learning Support • English Learning Support• Company club activities • Off-site team building events • Free vending machine • Free lunches (welcome lunch, shuffle lunch, mentor lunch, Japanese chat lunch, English chat lunch, team-building lunch)
• Experience with Unix/Linux or Mac environments, distributed systems, machine learning, information retrieval and TCP/IP
• Experience in programming using C, C++, Java, Python, Go and/or PHP
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related field
• Ability to communicate in English is a must; Japanese is not required
Our ideal candidate is…
・Prepared to overcome difficult challenges and learn from mistakes
・Proactive and able to think independently for the good of the team
・Able to go bold and take ownership of projects
Fresh graduates who can join in 2019
CV Screening → Assignment submission → Interview
|Type of business||IT service industry|
|Established||Feburary 1st, 2013|
|Listed||Tokyo Stock Exchange's Mothers Market|
|Note||Mercari in the news:
• Wall Street Journal: https://www.wsj.com/articles/japans-mercari-brings-its-bazaar-app-to-the-u-s-1473245469
• Tech Crunch (2017): https://techcrunch.com/2017/06/21/mercari-hires-john-lagerling-from-facebooks-management-team-to-guide-its-u-s-strategy/
• Tech in Asia: https://www.techinasia.com/mercari-us-focused-tiatokyo2016
• Business Insider: http://www.businessinsider.com/mercari-passes-1-billion-valuation-32-million-app-downloads-2016-3
Roppongi Hills Mori Tower, 6-10-1 Roppongi, Minato-ku, Tokyo 106-6118, Japan